Fifteen years ago, the founders of Single Carrot Theatre chose Baltimore as the ideal city to set off a revolution through theatre, and moved here from Colorado to do so. Since that first big risk, Single Carrot has mounted over 50 mainstage productions; organized and hosted countless events; participated in three international collaborations; taught in classrooms, libraries, and community centers all over the city; fostered meaningful partnerships with artists, community organizers, and service organizations across Baltimore; and touched the lives of tens of thousands of people through theatre.
We believe theatre is an essential part of being a citizen. We want to make work that is more meaningful for and more deeply connected and relevant to Baltimore and its residents, work that challenges and invites people to look at each other, the city, and the role they play in it with a fresh perspective. Single Carrot is as committed as ever to sharing daring, innovative, and artistically excellent work with Baltimore.
Single Carrot Theatre creates socially relevant theatre as a form of civic engagement in Baltimore by producing vibrant, experiential performances in traditional and non-traditional theatre venues; building cross-sector partnerships; and facilitating empowering education programs.
Believing that art should be urgent and have significance for the community, we underscore the social relevance of each piece we produce in the following ways:
- producing vibrant, experiential performances in traditional and non-traditional theatre venues
- SCT creates work in a site-specific model of performance: choosing a venue for every show that augments the social relevance of the piece and enhances the experience of the audience.
- SCT makes work that implicates and intentionally frames the audience. This may be through pre-show engagement, where the audience sits, how they enter the space, or even actual participation during the production—whatever form it takes, patrons are invited to give more than passive attention, and we hope they leave with more because of that.
- Building cross-sector partnerships
- SCT partners with non-theatre and non-arts organizations on every Main Season production. Through these partnerships, we strive to deepen and expand the experience and meaning of our plays beyond the theatre; to reach a broader audience; to erase the sharp divides between artistic programming and community-engagement; and to create new opportunities for theatre to serve Baltimore City and its citizens directly.
- Facilitating empowering education programs
- Education has always been central to Single Carrot’s mission, and our educational programs are thriving. With multiple in-school teaching artists at Baltimore City schools, after-school programs across the city, and workshops at partner organizations, we reach well over a thousand children each year. This doesn’t even include our growing adult education initiatives and corporate trainings.
Single Carrot Theatre Vision & Core Values
Vision: A Baltimore connected through the experience of bold, relevant, community-centered theatre.
- We take risks in the pursuit of artistic excellence and innovation
- Theatre should propel people to re-envision themselves, each other, their communities, and Baltimore.
- We believe in a transparent artistic process that is equally welcoming to guest artists and community members.
- We approach our work with a spirit of generosity and collaboration.
- The audience completes the creation of each production through their creative imagination and involvement.
- We believe a multiplicity of diverse voices is necessary at every level of Single Carrot Theatre and that valuing those voices equitably is the only way to achieve innovative, vibrant, and transformative art.
- Theatre should play a role in dismantling all systems of oppression.
- We are adaptive and responsive to here and now.
- Theatre that hits the head and the heart.