SINGLE CARROT THEATRE SEEKS TECHNICAL DIRECTOR FOR PRODUCTION OF PINK MILK
Single Carrot Theatre is seeking a Technical Director for upcoming production of Pink Milk.
This position will work closely with the Artistic Director and Production Manager on Pink Milk. This includes leading a team of technical assistants, managing and executing all technical elements of production, supporting production designers in creating plans for design elements (ground plans, light plots, set/prop piece schematics), and evaluating design feasibility (based on Singe Carrot’s available budget, equipment, and labor capacity).
Ideal applicants possess a background in theatre production building, with an emphasis on carpentry and electrics, will also have excellent organizational and time-management abilities, and possess good written and oral communication skills.
Pertinent Dates are as follows:
Start Date: Immediately
Build Timeline: Build takes place according to the TD and Tech Assistants’ schedules. Should begin in late January/early February.
Tech Rehearsals: April 19- 25
Opening: April 26
Strike: May 19-May 26
Additional Hours: TD is expected to be present at 4 Production Meetings and 2 Design Runs on weekday evenings.
- Leads build for production and manages all technical logistics for production
- Creates technical drawings for design elements and manages construction of set elements.
- Supervises technical assistants and sets work schedule.
- Manages production budgets along with designers
- Leads light hang, light focus and audio set up.
- Updates and maintains Single Carrot’s inventory lists
- Maintains cleanliness and organization in both the theatre and shop facilities
- Attends production meetings and department meetings
- Provides regular communication to creative team about progress of build.
- Regularly reviews rehearsal and performance reports
- During run, fixes any set, sound or lights issues that arise.
- Experience managing builds for theatrical productions and constructing sets.
- Has a knowledge of and prioritizes safe practices and industry safety standards
- Ability to read light plots and scenic blueprints.
- Working knowledge of Qlab, including programming and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of ETC Element
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Comfortable climbing ladder and working at height of 17′
Salary and Benefits
This an independent contractor project based position. Stipend is $2500.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, Subject line “Production Technical Director”
By Ariel Zetina
Directed by Ben Kleymeyer
April 26 – May 19, 2019
Once upon a time, there was a boy called Alan who dreamed in Technicolor. In this modern take on the life of renowned codebreaker Alan Turing, electrifying music and a surreal text take us to the heart of a genius who longed for connection in a world he couldn’t understand. The psychedelic and strange weave together to create a deeply human story of love, loss, creation, and destruction. Find the man behind the machines in this rich fantasy of poisoned apples, loving robots, and the father of the modern computer. Regional Premiere.
Ariel Zetina is a latinx trans female playwright, composer, and DJ based out of Chicago. Her plays include British Honduras Fantasy (Trans Theatre Festival, NYC; dev. @ Berkeley Rep); Pink Milk (Oracle Theatre, Chicago); Lovedrug (dev. @ Magic Theatre, SF). She is a resident DJ at Smartbar, the oldest still running house-music club in North America. Her debut EP Cyst was released on Paris label Boukan Records in September. Upcoming: Commissions for House Theatre of Chicago & Pride Films & Plays.
Ben Kleymeyer is a multidisciplinary queer theatre artist– usually working as a director, performer, or deviser– focused on new and devised work. Single Carrot credits: Samsara (Assistant Director), Short Reunion (Director, Ensemble), Wendy, Peter. Peter, Wendy. (Peter/Wendy), Putin on Ice (Putin with the Animals). They have also worked at Fells Point Corner Theatre, Cohesion Theatre Company, Nine Dollar Bill Theatre, Charm City Fringe, Capital Fringe, and the National New Play Network’s Playwrights Workshop. Ben is a graduate of The University of Maryland.