SINGLE CARROT THEATRE SEEKS PART-TIME ASSISTANT TEACHING ARTISTS
Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) is committed to creating enthusiastic 21st-century learners through ensemble-building, collaboration, and theatrical performance. SCT Teaching Artists hold students to a high standard of excellence and create a classroom culture of high expectations.
SCT is looking for one or two part-time Assistant Teaching Artist to support two theatre education programs at local Baltimore city public schools. These positions could be combined or separate job opportunities. If you only have availability for one or the other, please still apply. Additional opportunities for involvement in other education programs at Single Carrot Theatre may arise.
SCT will be working with Francis Scott Key Elementary/Middle School to implement a new in-school theatre program culminating in three theatrical productions with different age groups toward the end of the school year. This is a new program that will run from January-May 2018. Theatre and production rehearsals will occur during the school day between the hours of 8am-2:30pm. The exact schedule is pending based on the school. Assistant Teaching Artist will support Lead Teaching Artist for 3-6 session per week with students in grades K-7. (6-10 hours/week)
SCT has a program at Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School. The Lead Teaching Artist teaches theatre curriculum during the school day. In January, we will be adding an afterschool program which will culminate in two student theatrical productions. Assistant Teaching Artist will support the after school program from 2:30-4:30 on Wednesdays and Thursdays. (4-6 hours/week)
- For Francis Scott Key in-school program, Assistant Teaching Artist is expected support Lead Teaching Artists in teaching up to 6 theatre session weekly for grades K though 7. Sessions will be focused on rehearsing for the end of year productions.
- For Margaret Brent after-school program, Assistant Teaching Artist is expected to support Lead Teaching Artist for 2 sessions weekly for grades 1 through 8. Sessions will be focused on rehearsing for the end of year productions.
- Assistant Teaching Artist will be available for additional in time during the weeks leading up to performances for dress and technical rehearsals.
- Assistant Teaching Artist will be expected to arrive 25 minutes prior to the first scheduled class of the day to set up the classroom; clean-up is also required at end of day.
- Assist with coordination, scheduling and communication with other artists working on productions as requested by Lead Teaching Artist. (music director, choreographer, designers, etc.)
- Assist with coordination of volunteer days for parents and community as needed to assist with production elements as requested by Lead Teaching Artist.
- Adhere to the rehearsal plan created by Lead Teaching Artist, but be able to think creatively and respond to unexpected or last minute changes.
- The Assistant Teaching Artist will monitor the school’s calendar for any scheduling changes.
- Substitute for the Lead Teaching Artist in the event Lead Teaching Artist is unavailable.
- Attend meetings with school administration and SCT staff as requested.
- Attend staff meetings at Single Carrot Theatre and with other SCT Teaching Artists as requested.
- Assistant Teaching Artist reports to the Artistic Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre or education, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in arts education, specifically in theatre or performance.
- Strong classroom management and behavioral management skills are preferred.
- 1+ years teaching or teaching assistant experience, all elementary and/or middle school grade levels.
- 2+ years theatre experience, performance or directing preferred.
- Experience in music direction or choreography a plus.
- Experience working within a public school system a plus.
- Instructor must be able to pass a fingerprint test and criminal background test.
Salary & Benefits Package:
- $12-15/hour, commensurate with experience
- This is a 6-month position beginning in January 2018 through the 2017/18 school year
- Position is contingent on funding for program.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Please apply for this position by December 22nd.
Single Carrot Theatre is committed to building a diverse community of staff, interns and artists. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT SINGLE CARROT THEATRE
The Single Carrot Theatre ensemble is a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore—championing new, diverse, and socially significant works; reinvigorating the classics; creating vibrant theatrical experiences; and fiercely supporting the growth of artists.
In 2007, Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) opened its doors to become a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore. SCT is “the dean of Baltimore’s alternative theatre scene (The Baltimore Sun) and reaches over 3,000 audience members and over 1,000 students annually. Now entering its 11th full season, Single Carrot theatre has produced over 45 mainstage productions, participated in numerous collaborative endeavors with area nonprofits, offered extensive educational programming for both children and adults and engaged in international exchanges with theatre artists from Russia, Hungary and Bulgaria. SCT productions continue to receive critical praise and provide an indispensable home for emerging theatre artists and recent graduates in Baltimore to hone and professionalize their craft. Through various initiatives, Single Carrot Theatre has made it a priority to engage and empower Baltimore’s residents through theatre.