Single Carrot Theatre is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community—across race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, socioeconomic background, and political viewpoint— in which all are encouraged to apply. Some of our core values include:
- That we take risks in the pursuit of artistic excellence and innovation
- That we believe theatre should propel people to re-envision themselves, each other, their communities, and Baltimore.
- We believe in a transparent artistic process that is equally welcoming to guest artists and community members.
- We approach our work with a spirit of generosity and collaboration.
- We believe a multiplicity of diverse voices is necessary at every level of Single Carrot Theatre and that valuing those voices equitably is the only way to achieve innovative, vibrant, and transformative art.
- Theatre should play a role in dismantling all systems of oppression.
- We are adaptive and responsive to the here and now.
SINGLE CARROT THEATRE SEEKS Part Time Technical Director
Single Carrot Theatre (SCT), Baltimore’s premier alternative theatre company, creates socially relevant theatre as a form of civic engagement in Baltimore by producing vibrant, experiential performances in traditional and non-traditional theatre venues; building cross-sector partnerships; and facilitating empowering education programs. This includes three productions annually, one night events, a robust education program, and a variety of fundraising and community engagement events. By performing in a variety of locations and being a more community-minded theatre company, Single Carrot Theatre is in a unique position in Baltimore to hone its path towards organizational growth through bold artistic and organizational choices focused on the city and its residents.
The Technical Director will work closely with the Artistic Director and Producing Director to mount SCT’s productions in non-traditional spaces across Baltimore. Ideal applicants possess a technical background in theater production in non-traditional spaces, have excellent organizational and time-management abilities, can both lead and work in a team, possess good written and oral communication skills, and can manage administrative production duties.
The Technical Director will lead all technical aspects of venue communication, assessing technical capacity of space and feasibility of designs from designers, lead build of any elements that require construction, lead technical logistics, managing schedule of load in and load out with venue staff, sourcing and picking up equipment or materials, troubleshooting throughout set up and the run of the production. They will also provide all technical elements of special events, education and community events as well as maintaining storage and rehearsal facilities. They serve as liaison on technical elements of a production between director, guest artists, ensemble, and other staff members.
Administrative responsibilities of the Technical Director include managing and creating the build, load in, and strike schedules, production budget management, and updating and maintaining production inventory. They maintain cleanliness and organization of SCT spaces and venues, manage incoming and outgoing payments for materials and services related to production.
The Technical Director completes these duties with the assistance of technical support staff. The Technical Director manages all technical staff including recruitment, hiring, scheduling, timesheet management and payment.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Open communication and collaborative practice.
- 3+ years experience managing builds for theatrical productions, constructing sets, technical set up for productions, and/or installation in non-performance spaces.
- Has a knowledge of and prioritizes safe practices and industry safety standards
- Ability to read and realize light plots and scenic blueprints and fulfill plans.
- Working knowledge of Qlab, including programming and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of ETC Element light board, including programming and troubleshooting.
- Experience in a supervisory or leadership position preferred.
- Experience in creating budgets and budget management.
- Experience producing plays in non-traditional theatre venues is a plus.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving box trucks up to 15ft long.
- Comfortable working on ladders up to 16ft high
Salary & Benefits Package:
Hours for position varies (averaging 18-22 hours weekly) with more hours during production periods.
Salaried part time position $20-24/hr based on experience (Compensation caps at $27,500 annually at 55% of FT)
Health Insurance package offered.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter or a statement of interest in the position AND a resume or list of relevant work experience with professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Technical Director.”